Wednesday 23 February 2011

Allergies & antihistamine withdrawal

I have allergies of unknown origin that last all year.  (These are separate from my MCS - multiple chemical sensitivity - age related of course.)  Sigh.  For a few months I've been taking allergy meds - antihistamines.  Earlier this week I ran out of the medicine and decided to stop taking them to see what would happen. 

Ha!  Antihistamine withdrawal!  I didn't realize right away what was going on but I was itching all over.  It was pure torture.  Itch cream only provided temporary relief.  When I decided to soak in the tub to ease the abuse I'd heaped on my skin from scratching, my tongue began to itch.  Arrggghhh.....

Finally, I googled antihistamine withdrawal and itching and got many results.  Apparently it's a very common reaction, in fact, itching all over seems to be a reaction to many types of medication withdrawal. 

Just thought I'd share this as I know I'm not the only one this has happened to as allergies are very common.  My solution is to take a pill every other day, then every 3rd day to wean myself off.  Guess I'll just deal with the constant runny nose. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am current having the same problem with anti histamines. I've tried two brands and they both have the same effect on me. I'm 8 days into withdrawal. The worst case I've found online Is three weeks. I hope that I don't last that long!

Annie said...

It's awful isn't it? I went to my doctor and he prescribed me antihistamines. So I guess I'm on them for life. At least they are free.