Thursday 19 August 2010

A visit to Whitby in North Yorkshire

This week I took a long-desired trip to Whitby.  Whitby has the ruins of the historic Whitby Abbey where the Synod of Whitby was held in 664.  The train journey was quite long but worth it.  My accommodation was a wonderful B & B called Broomfield House.  Although my room and bathroom were small, it was clean and comfortable with nice touches.  The location was very convenient as well.  Breakfasts were wonderful as were the host and hostess.  As I left for an early train on my last day a packed breakfast was prepared for me.  The amount of food and drink was impressive - it lasted the entire days journey home! 
Broomfield House

Whitby is a popular destination and I happened to choose my visit during the England school holidays.  In spite of the town being jam-packed with tourists, many with kids, it was still enjoyable.  Photo ops were non-stop! 

Whitby Tourism

5 miles south of Whitby is a lovely and charming village on the sea - Robin Hood's Bay (so named as it was a smugglers bay).  The streets in Robin Hood's Bay are very steep and cobbled. 

Robin Hood's Bay
Enjoy England site on Robin Hood's Bay

Had fantastic haddock, chips and the best mushy peas here:
Magpie Cafe


 Pics:  Whitby Abbey, Whitby Harbor, Whitby Harbor, Robin Hood's Bay, Robin Hood's Bay
More pics here:
Whitby & Robin Hood's Bay pics





1 comment:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Fantastic photographs! A girl never tires of seeing a castle!